A few weeks ago I posted a blog post and video, How To Get Rid Of Acne Breakouts Fast (My Top 5 Remedies). In that video I talked about a very specific skincare routine for healing active acne, and I received quite a few questions. So, I thought now would be a perfect time to sit down and chat with you about your skincare routine for acne and answer all your questions.
I want to make sure everyone is very clear what products and ingredients you should and shouldn’t be using while you have acne, and what will help get your skin balanced, healthy, and clear again.
In today’s video I go over:
- Why it’s so important to have a gentle skincare routine to clear up acne?
- What is the most important product in your acne skincare routine?
- What products you shouldn’t use when you have active acne?
- Do you really need a moisturizer when you have acne?
- What skincare ingredients you need to stay away from?
- Do you need a toner, mist, or other treatment products in your acne skincare routine?
- Could too many products or ingredients be messing up your skin?
- Is natural/organic products better for acne than mainstream skincare?
- Are my skincare guidelines different if you are using natural/organic skincare?
- What kind of sunscreen should you use when you have acne?
- What about anti-aging when you have acne?
- What about getting rid of acne scars when you have active acne?
And just a reminder of what I said in the beginning of the video – if you really want to clear up breakouts and acne for good (and get the best and fastest results), you’ve got to work on everything. That means, improving your diet, lifestyle, and skincare routine. All these things works hand-in-hand. To get started, I recommend taking my FREE Acne Solutions 5-Day Email Course which will walk you through a bunch of effective diet and lifestyle steps to start clearing up your skin now.
Other blog posts and videos you should checkout:
- How To Wash Your Face With Honey (Tips + Demo)
- Oil Cleansing Method For Acne Prone Skin (Tips + Demo)
- How To Get Rid Of Acne Breakouts Fast (My Top 5 Remedies)
- How To Use A Spot Treatment Properly
- How I Cleared Up Adult Acne Naturally
- Why Your Skincare Products Don’t Work To Get Rid Of Acne
Skincare Ingredients To Avoid When You Have Acne
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Drying/Irritating Alcohols (denatured alcohol, ethanol, alcohol denat, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, SD alcohol)
- Synthetic fragrance
- Mineral Oil
- Chemical Sunscreen Filters (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate)
Skincare Ingredients That Could Cause Sensitivity Or Breakouts
- Coconut Oil
- Waxes (beeswax, petrolum based waxes, etc.)
- Butters (shea butter, cacao butter, etc.)
- Essential Oils
- Silicones (methicone, phenyl trimethicone, dimethicone, cyclomethicone, dimethiconol, dimethicone copolyol)
Recommended Products For Active Acne:
Wash Cloths For Oil Cleansing:
- GROVIA Cloth Wipes
Mild Gel Cleansers:
If honey or oil cleansing doesn’t work for your skin and you prefer a gel cleanser, these gel cleansers are gentle and very good at removing makeup and sunscreen.
- VERDURA NATURALTERNATIVES Bamboo Diva Facial Cleanser
- DRUNK ELEPHANT Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser
- INDIE LEE Brightening Cleanser
- LIVING LIBATIONS SoothSayer Serum
- LIVING LIBATIONS All Season Serum
- LEAHLANI Happy Hour Balancing Serum
- DRUNK ELEPHANT B-Hydra (I recommend mixing 1 pump of B-Hydra + 2 drops Rose Hip Seed Oil or any other oil you prefer)
- LIVING LIBATION Rose Renewal + Frankincense Firming Fluid
- ODACITE Oleosomes Time Release Delivery Creme
Aim to get a mineral sunscreen that has 10% – 20% Zinc Oxide (non-nano), and SPF 30 or higher.
- SUNTEGRITY 5in1 Tinted Facial Sunscreen SPF30
- VERDURA NATURALTERNATIVES Blue Fairy Concentrate
- LIVING LIBATION Zippity DewDab
- LIVING LIBATIONS DewDab
- MARIE VERONIQUE + KRISTINA HOLEY Intensive Repair Serum
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
I strongly recommend taking a break from makeup while you are clearing up breakouts and acne, but, I know that isn’t possible for everyone. If you must wear makeup, here’s a few recommendations:
- ANNMARIE SKIN CARE Minerals Multi-Purpose Foundation (sample kit or full size)
- RMS BEAUTY “Un” Cover-Up
- RMS BEAUTY Tinted “Un” Powder
This blog post is not sponsored. All views and opinions are always my own. This blog post may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through my link, without any extra cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.